Sunday, August 31, 2014

School is in Session

Dear Isabel,

I want to remember those weeks leading up to that last week in August.  That last week in August that would mean the end of summer and the start of your new schooling adventure.  Deep down I knew it would be an adventure you would enjoy and make the most of.   I want to remember how nervous you were.  Asking me if your teacher would be nice.  Crying a little everytime the word 'kindergarten' was even mentioned.  At the same time I want to remember how enthusiastic you were about learning to read and write.  You loved to copy words from books and write them down .. signs of a little person who couldn't wait to be able to read those words on her own.  
And so everytime those nerves came out I told you things like "you are going to love it".  "I'm sure your teacher will be very nice".  "You are going to make lots of new friends".  I told you about my 'Kindergarten' stories which were really just vague memories from Grade 1 ... like I said very vague memories.     Anything uplifting to which you gave a little grunting noise and you sometimes walked away .. a sign you didn't  want to hear anymore about it. 

Monday August 25th 2014:  We met your teacher for the first time and walked in your classroom for a short 20 minute tour.   You tried to hide behind me as your teacher introduced herself to you and tried to shake your hand.  You loved checking out your new classroom though. 

Wednesday August 27th 2014:  You woke up at 6:30am.  This is a huge deal considering you have been waking up no earlier than 8am.  It's the start of our new routine.  It was a slow start but we made it out of house on time.  You looked so cute in your new uniform .. a little older than your five years but a cute little school girl for sure! 
I want to remember when they asked you and your new classmates to line up and you went off with the teacher's aid you stepped in that line, gave us a smile and walked off with your class ... and didn't even look back.  I want to remember how I smiled.  A very proud smile.  You played some games.  You had a small sweet snack.  We took pictures as your new teacher told you and your new friends to keep that smile on as us silly parent snapped away on our phones. 
After an hour we left .. you quite excitedly asked if tomorrow was your first day?  I said yes. 
You said "Yay".

Thursday August 28th:
Your first official day of school! 
You woke up at 6:30am. 
Breakfast was toast and jam and a drinking yoghurt.  You needed a little 'push' to finish ... our eyes on the clock making sure we were not late.
Daddy dressed you.  I packed your snack.
It was also picture day today.   We arrived on time.  We found your line and at 8am  Daddy and I walked with you  to your new classroom.  We were allowed inside and watched as you said your morning prayers with your teacher and danced a little song and we took more photos of you! 
We gave you a hug and a kiss good bye and you excitedly went back to sit with your class.

BIG BREATH.   My baby girl is in school!  And she loves it!  BIG SIGH!
I knew it all along. 

Pick Up Time:  I want to remember that beautiful smile on your face. 
I want to remember how you asked me if you were coming back tomorrow and when I said "yes" ... you were so happy!
I want to remember these words you spoke: 
"I love my teacher"  "I love kindergarten".

I want to remember when I picked you up on Friday... your second day ... and you asked me if you were coming back tomorrow (Saturday) and I told you no because it was the weekend.  You cried.  Yes you cried!  Watch out Kindergarten Isabel has arrived!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that make me smile