Sunday, August 24, 2014

That time Help was not needed


Alas this summer didn't take us on too many camping trips unfortunately but we managed to squeeze a stay at one of favourite locations in Newport Beach last weekend.  It was kind of like a 'last hurrah to summer family getaway'.

This trip will be remembered as the time Owen made it clear that the word 'help' was one he didn't not care for.  He has no problem telling us when he doesn't like something ... he communicates very well with us.  Sometimes he even yells his wants and needs loud and clear.  This was the first camping trip he had a scooter to ride along on and well our little independent one was all about riding that thing ON HIS OWN.  No pushing, no holding, no assistance of any kind was needed.

I guess I don't learn my lesson as quickly as I should or maybe  it's just me being a mamma bear who finds it tough realising your little boy doesn't need you.  I'm going to go with the latter explanation.  So of course as I watched him get frustrated or get stuck when he approached the little step on the sidewalk or when he was too far behind I asked 'do you need help' to which I got a firm 'NOOOO!'.   He told me 'No' more times that I can remember and frankly it hurt my heart a tiny bit.  He showed me of course and proved he he really could do it by himself.   With a few frustration filled tantrums in between he could push those little legs of his along and get to where he wanted to go.






Camping trips are of course filled with a lot of fun and long days so late bedtimes are expected but this guy likes to wake up early no matter what time he goes to bed and the first words after a forced 'Good Morning' without fail are 'I hungry.  I want toast and raspberries and drinking milk'.   
Luck for him the trailer was  stocked with his breakfast request items.





It's nice to see the investment we have made in swim lessons over the last two years  is paying off with Isabel.  It's so so good to see her be confident in the in the water.  If it was up to her we would have spent our entire three days of our stay at the pool.





These days Isabel is pretty darn good sleeper.  While she goes to bed late during these trips if she could she would sleep in as late as possible, the complete opposite to Owen.   But it doesn't happen when a certain little brother starts to get restless and noisy and decides to jump on the bed.






And now this new week is about to start.  It's a pretty big week for our big girl.  She starts kindergarten.  That means real school in this part of the world.  That means five days a week.  That means she will learn so much and be exposed to so much.  That means our lives are about to change. 

Deep breath in.  She is nervous ( and so am I can you tell? ) but I know she will do amazing.

Bye bye summer 2014. 

I have some more photos I want to post that of our summer memories so hopefully I can do that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that make me smile