Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Capturing December

Here we are again the second last day of 2015.

Before it ends I want to recap the memories of this last month.
December was busy but in the most joyful and magical way.

I want to remember how I went from wanting to help in Isabel's classroom but her teacher not requesting any help to having said teacher resign suddenly at the end of November and leaving the class in a small state of limbo which had me help in the classroom a lot more than I ever thought I would.

I want to remember my new favourite tradition of the Christmas Book Advent.  I manage to wrap twenty four books in a span of three days and then the kids get to unwrap a book every night of December in the lead up to Jesus' birthday.

I want to remember December 4. Friday night.  Isabel's first time attending a daddy daughter dance with her favourite guy.  I got reports they had a nice time.  I saw some cute video of her dancing to some of the songs we sing and dance to in the car.

 I want to remember how Isabel lost her third tooth.  But her first front tooth.  She refused every attempt to 'just pull' that thing out.  Instead our girl prefered to go to school with a lifeless tooth practically hanging on by the tiniest of threads and listening to her friends begging her to just pull it out!
It finally came out in the car park of her school.  Her daddy picked her up that day and sat in the car with her,  encouraging her to pull it herself.  All it needed was a tight grip and a super quick pull.
Well it took it a few minutes of her trying with no success  ... or so she thought.
She managed to swallow the tooth and then quickly cough it back up in her hand.  She told me about the swallowing part when she arrived home .. I thought it was just a story her daddy had invented for
dramatic purposes but I came to find out it was in fact the truth!

I want to remember my tradition of going to the mall with Owen.  Just him and I.  The purpose of the trip is to get some envelopes for our christmas cards from my favourite paper store.  But of course I have to pop in to Anthropologie (another big fave) and just take in the beauty that is that store.
Their creative christmas displays/the smell ... I mean it is happiness to me.  A very short lived happiness when I have Owen begging to leave every two minutes.  But happiness indeed!
We get ourselves a little treat from one of the restaurants then make our way to the Santa train that they have out for Christmas. This has been a three year strong tradition but I realised that this sadly would be the last year because he will be in full time school next year.
I made sure to enjoy every second even the long whiny ones. :)

I want to remember this December Isabel participated in the Indian Princess food collection at one of the grocery stores near our house.  Indian Princesses is something that just Jason and her take part in so I wasn't there to witness our girl come out of her shell asking strangers to purchase and donate canned food that in turn would be collected and taken to a local homeless shelter.  I was lucky enough to be in her classroom the Monday that followed and she confidently raised her hand and recounted that experience to her teacher.

I want to remember the Saturday night we trimmed the tree.  I let the kids take control of the decorating.  In the end it turned out to be something that held Isabel's attention a lot longer than it held Owen's. And she proudly exclaimed to anyone that would listen that is was 'her' and only her that made that tree pretty.  You speak the truth .. always my girl.   Jason popped some popcorn to make a garland for our pretty tree but in the end Isabel and Owen ate the whole bowl while they watched some Christmas movies.

I want to remember the quickest meetings with Santa I have ever seen ...  with older kids anyway.
We went on a very chilly Monday night to Downtown Disney and strolled on over to the Grand Californian Hotel.  We listened to an awesome group of carolers singing some fun Christmas tunes and wondered if Santa was no longer visiting the hotel because he was nowhere in sight but come to find out he was returning in 20 minutes.  So we hung out in the lobby with a hot chocolate and some 'adult beverages' until Santa returned to his spot.  Up to that point it seemed Isabel was having an inner struggle on whether she was going to see Santa up close or not.  Owen on the other hand was adamant he would be telling Santa what he wanted for Christmas no matter what!
We stood in a short line and the kids went up to Santa .. he asked them what they wanted for Christmas.  Isabel's (very shy) answer :  "I don't know".
 Owen's  answer:  " A red penguin".
They turned around .. I snapped some photos and it was over.  No waves goodbye.
No conversations with Santa.    Short and sweet.
Until next year Santa!

I want to remember those faces Isabel pulled at 6 1/2 years old when she was asked to be in a photo.

I want to remember Isabel's little dance routine at her end of year showcase at her dance school.
Another short but super super sweet moment watching her tap her little heart out.
She wouldn't take her eyes off the 'leader' at the front that was dancing along with them so they wouldn't forget their steps but seriously when she is dancing I know that all is just fine in her little world.




























And I want to remember this song and the way she sang it both at home and on the day that she performed it at the Christmas Celebration mass at school.
Love! Just Love!
I wish you and Owen didn't have to grow up Isabel!  
But you do!  But while you do that we will soak up all these awesome moments with you! xoxox

I never wanna grow up
Never wanna grow up
Never wanna grow up
I never wanna grow up
Never wanna grow up
On Christmas

I don't wanna be old and dread everything
Shop 'til I drop then I start to complain
I don't wanna be boring
And get so tired I'm snoring

(Repeat Chorus)

I wanna be a kid playing with my toys
A choo choo train and a whistling noise
Candy canes, a Christmas tree
Singing those carols in a strange key

(Repeat Chorus)

I always wanna smell cinnamon
Decorate the tree just for fun
I wanna sneak a peek when I'm tucked in bed
Or watch mom and dad sneak a peek instead

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that make me smile