Monday, January 31, 2011

Bittersweet homecoming

We are back home!
Yep - I don't doubt that all of our returns from Australia will continue to be bittersweet.
There is just no better feeling than being in your own house with your own 'stuff', in your own bed and of course being back with the best hubby and daddy in the whole world but leaving our OZ family is always really sad and until I get back into my normal routine that is life .. homesick feelings really get me down.

This flight back from Australia was certainly memorable!
Before checking in I was somewhat excited because a previous call to the airline had me believing I would be sitting with a lot of empty seats around me but when I got in line at the Brisbane airport the long line was no indication of how empty the flight really was. After checking in I'm then saddened by the fact that the flight is now sold out and well .. long story short .. I just have to make the most of the lack of space and hope and pray Isabel can get a little bit of rest.
Ha! Well after a few meltdowns since she was unfortunately not able to get comfortable on my lap and get a good sleep - we survived! I was happy we sat next to a really friendly Aussie family who also lives in California with their 8 month old baby girl who Isabel just loved! She couldn't stop touching her baby friend's arm, hair and saying 'beebee' everytime she laid eyes on her - which was very frequently. Ha! It was really really adorable though.

In reality the 12.5 - 13 hour flight is really not bad at all!
It's funny .... people who have never done it assume it's undoable (not a word?) and sometimes I think they assume it's more like 24 hours or something?!
But when you have done it as many times as we have it's not bad until you have a squirmy toddler on your lap who needs her sleep! Our next trip hopefully won't be so bad because Isabel will be of the age where we will need to purchase her own seat so that will make a huge difference!
Miss Isabel is a trooper though - jetlag really doesn't seem to bother her at all unlike her mummy. It's true what they say about kids right .. they really are resilient.
Love her!

Here are some fun pics we took on the day we arrived back to the US - Jason had a great idea to break up our return and stay a night in Santa Monica.
I LOOOVE Santa Monica! Needless to say it was a fun mini trip and a fantastic way to get us adjusted and settled again.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that make me smile